June M. Rostan Papers
Collection — other: Boxes 1-4
Scope and Contents
The June M. Rostan Papers contains manuscript and photographic material together with audiotapes. Manuscript material includes both personal and professional correspondence; scrapbook material of workshops and conferences; material concerning Rostan's affiliation with the Coal Employment Project, Tennessee Occupational Health and Safety, Appalachian Alliance, and "Threads," a Knoxville, Tennessee based humanities project. Also contained here are Rostan's union organizing and promotional material and teaching and training materials of Rostan's G.E.D. classes at Highlander Research and Education Center. The photographs depict coal mining strikes, while the audiotapes contain interviews conducted by Rostan of United Furniture Workers in Memphis, Tennessee and Baltimore, Maryland.
- Rostan, June (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
1.50 linear feet (3 Hollinger Boxes, 5 audio cassettes)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into three series. Series 1, Personal Papers, 1975-1982; Series 2, Professional Papers, 1976-1994; Series 3, Audio Cassettes, undated.
Method of Acquisition
The June M. Rostan Papers was donated to the Archives of Appalachia by June M. Rostan on January 26, 1994.
Processing of the collection was completed in April, 1995 by A.Brandenburg.
- Clark, Mike
- Freeman, Emma
- Higgins, Mary
- Appalachian Alliance
- Coal Employment Project
- Coal mines and mining Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Coal mines and mining -- Appalachian Region Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Highlander Research and Education Center (Knoxville, Tenn.)
- Horton, Myles, 1905-1990
- Memphis Furniture Strike, Memphis, Tenn., 1980 Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Southern Empowerment Project Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Tennessee Committee on Occupational Safety & Health
- United Furniture Workers of America
- Women coal miners Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- A. Brandenburg
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note