Glenn E. Roberts, Jr. Collection
Scope and Contents
The Glenn E. Roberts, Jr. Collection consists of audiotapes of Roberts' radio program; of bluegrass festival performances; and of home jamming sessions involving Roberts and other Southwest Virginia musicians.
- Roberts, Glenn E., Jr. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Tapes may be duplicated for research use only.
6.00 Boxes (5 Records Center Boxes (177 open reel and cassette originals and dubs), 1 Disc Box (seven 19 1/2" open reel tapes), 8 Shoe Boxes (148 user audio cassette dubs), and 1 4"x6" Box (6 user audio cassette))
Language of Materials
The Collection is divided into four series as follows: Series 1, Glenn Roberts Firestone Tire Radio Program Recordings, 1972-1976, and undated; Series 2, Bluegrass Festival Recordings, 1975-1981, and undated; Series 3, Home Jamming REcordings, 1968; and Series 4, Non-performance and Compilation Recordings, 1974-1981, and undated.
Arrangement in each series is chronological, with tapes of questionable dates or with no dates, placed after the dated materials. Printed materials which provided information on the festivals have been placed in the case file which is available in the archives' office.
Method of Acquisition
The Glenn E. Roberts, Jr. Collection was donated to the Archives of Appalachia by Glenn E. Roberts, Jr. on six separate occasions from 1990 through 1996. One group of dubs from Roberts' materials was transferred to the Archives of Appalachia from the Center for Appalachian Studies and Services Office in 1996.
Norma Myers, Marie Tedesco, and Amanda Mathis completed processing the collection in 1998.
- Crowe, J.D.
- Skaggs, Ricky
- Wiseman, Mac
- Bluegrass music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Country Gentlemen (Musical group)
- Goins Brothers
- Gospel music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- II Generation (Musical group)
- Marshall Family (Musical group)
- New South (Musical group)
- Outdoor Plumbing Company (Musical group)
- Radio Programs--Virginia--Norton Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Roberts, Glenn E., Jr.
- Rolling Firestones (Musical group)
- Seldom Scene (Musical group)
- Stanley, Ralph Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note