LeRoy Reeves Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers of LeRoy Reeves consist of letters, military orders, photographs, sketches, newspaper clippings and genealogical data. His experimental sketches of the Tennessee state flag and his correspondence relating to the adoption of the flag are of particular interest to Tennesseans and vexillologists. Other papers document some of his activities as a member of the United States military and the research he conducted for his book Ancestral Sketches.
- Majority of material found within 1903-1928
- Reeves, LeRoy, 1876-1960 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research. Digital content available here: LeRoy Reeves Papers
1.50 linear feet (2 legal-size document boxes; 1 oversize folder; 1 card file)
Language of Materials
The papers are arranged in four series: Military Service; Genealogical Material; Tennessee State Flag Material; and Photographs.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers of LeRoy Reeves were donated to the Sherrod Library, East Tennessee State University, on June 4, 1969, by Mary Hardin McCown, genealogist and local historian of Johnson City, Tennessee. The papers were transferred from the Sherrod Library, East Tennessee State University to the Archives of Appalachia in the fall of 1978.
In January 2013, Deborah McGlohon and Myra Monroe donated Reeves family materials collected by their mother, Willie Reeves Hardin Bivins, a first cousin once-removed of LeRoy Reeves.
In March 2015, John Kiener contributed additional materials which were given to him by someone who had purchased them at a sale.
Mildred Kozsuch completed processing, and the papers were opened to research in January 1979. The finding aid was revised by Ed Speer in 1987, and by Marie Tedesco in 1991. Kaley Hoffman incorporated new material and updated the container list in April 2015.
- Faw, George P., 1824-1901
- Faw, Harry, 1896-
- Bohun family
- Camp Sevier (S.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DeVault family (Jonesborough, Tenn.)
- Easley family
- Faw family
- Faw, Walter Wagner, 1867-1956
- Fort Bliss (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hamilton family
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reeves family
- Tennessee. National Guard. Infantry Regiment, 3rd
- United States. Army--History--Punitive Expedition into Mexico, 1916
- Vincent family
- World War, 1914-1918 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description