Mary Beth Spina Family Papers
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents
The Mary Beth Spina Family Papers consist of newspaper clippings, newspapers, diplomas and other memorabilia, a scrapbook, photographs, and miscellaneous publications that document the lives of Spina’s grandparents (Frederick T. and Elizabeth White), aunt (Mary Elsie White), and mother (Freddie Lee White Spina). There is also one 45 rpm recording of Wiley Oakley telling stories of the Great Smoky Mountains. In addition to family history, the collection documents such subjects such as Frederick White’s service in the Spanish-American War and the Philippines and Mary Elsie White’s work with the Girl Scout program in East Tennessee.
- 1898-1975, undated
- Spina, Mary Beth (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
3.00 Boxes (1.25 linear feet (2 boxes), 13 photographs (1 box), one 45 rpm record disc and 1 compact disk (CD) copy, 2 oversized map folders)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into four series, as follows: Series 1, Subject Files, 1899-1975 and undated; Series 2, Memorabilia, 1898-1973 and undated; Series 3, Photographs, c. 1898-c. 1919 and undated; and Series 4, Audio Recording, 1955.
Method of Acquisition
The collection was donated to the Archives of Appalachia by Mary Beth Spina, of Clarence, New York, on November 8, 1992.
The collection was processed by Ned Irwin and opened for research in April 2007.
- Oakley, Wiley
- White, Frederick T. (Frederick Tillman)
- White, Mary Elsie
- Girl Scouts -- Tennessee Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Schools--Tennessee--Johnson City Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Spanish-American War, 1898 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ned Irwin
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note