Southern Empowerment Project Records
Scope and Contents
The Southern Empowerment Project Records contain minutes of Board meetings, correspondence, intern information, committee minutes, training materials, and subject materials. Subjects include community organization, racial equality, land reform, tax reform, water and resources protection, economic development, and political empowerment. The records show how a grassroots organization functions, deals with adversity, raises funds, and recruits individuals to work within that organization.
- Southern Empowerment Project (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The records are open for research.
16.00 linear feet (16 boxes, includes 15 video tapes)
Language of Materials
The records consist of four series: Series 1, Office Files, 1985-2000; Series 2, Publications: Grassroots Organizations; Series 3, Books; Series 4, Video Tapes.
Method of Acquisition
The first donation of the records of the Southern Empowerment Project was received by the Archives of Appalachia on June 17, 1994. They were donated by June Rostan, Southern Empowerment Project Director.
Accruals and Additions
The second donation was received May 13, 1997. They were donated by June Rostan, Southern Empowerment Project Director.
The following books were removed from the records and cataloged for Special Collections:
Couto, Richard A. Ain’t Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Round: The Pursuit of Racial Justice in the Rural South. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1991.
Epstein, Robin. Citizen Power: Stories of America’s New Civic Spirit. Lexington, Kentucky: Democracy Resource Center, 1999.
Zuercher, Melanie E., ed. Making History: The First Ten Years of KFTC. Prestonsburg, Kentucky: Kentuckians for the Commonwealth, 1991.
Timothy Vasser completed processing and writing the finding aid for the Southern Empowerment Project Records in March 2006.
- Campaign for Human Development
- Center for Community Change
- Charlotte Organizing Project
- Citizens Organized to End Poverty in the Commonwealth
- Commission on Religion in Appalachia
- Community Farm Alliance
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Equality--Southern States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish Fund for Justice (Washington, D.C.)
- Just Organized Neighborhoods Area Headquarters
- Kentuckians for the Commonwealth
- Occupational Training--Southern States Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Political Participation--Southern States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Poor--Southern States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Save Our Cumberland Mountains (SOCM)
- Solutions to Issues of Concern to Knoxvillians
- Suffrage--Southern States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Timothy Vasser
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note