Walter F. Smith Papers
Scope and Contents
The Walter F. Smith Papers contain agreements, meeting minutes, financial statements, correspondence, news clippings, and memorabilia reflecting Mr. Smith's studies at Knox College, early career and activities during World War I, civic activities in Kingsport, and career with Kingsport Press, Inc. Most of the papers were created by Mr. Smith and his interaction with his business associates. Some material concerning his wife Isla and his children, George and Charlotte, are included in the collection.
The papers date from 1842 to 1976. The bulk of the material is clustered around two periods: 1915 to 1929 and 1944 to 1960.
- Majority of material found in 1944-1960
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
1.00 linear feet
Language of Materials
The collection is divided into two series: Series 1, Subject files, 1842-1976 and Series 2, Press Management, Inc. files, 1944-1971.
Photos: fifty-eight photographs of Mr. Smith and friends during his time at Knox College; thirty-four photographs of Mr. Smith and his business associates in Kingsport; three photographs of Appalachian rural scenes; and one unidentified portrait have been placed in the archives special environment storage area. Boxes 3 and 4 (photo storage area).
Other Printed Material: memorials; brochures; programs; and news clippings concerning the businesses and citizen's of Kingsport, Tennessee have been placed in the vertical file under the city name.
Artifacts: including an initial press; a seal; a Liberty Loan medal; election matches; a bookplate; and a Kiwanis medal have been placed in the Archives artifacts collection.
APA Oversized Photos - 1 photograph of Walter Smith, Box 3 TD 4-3.
Norma Myers completed processing and the collection was open for research in 1982.
- Adams, Louis, M.
- Dennis, John B. (John Bartlett), 1866-1947
- Gallop, M. Robert
- Hursh, Richard S.
- Johnson, J. Fred (John Frederick), 1874-1944
- Palmer, Elbridge Woodman, 1886-
- Smith, Isla Stockley
- Triebe, Edward J.
- Wilhelm, Curlett H., d. 1970
- City planning -- Tennessee -- Kingsport Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company
- Holston Valley Community Hospital
- Housing authorities -- Tennessee, East Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Industries -- Tennessee -- Kingsport Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kingsport (Tenn.)--Commerce Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Kingsport Housing Authority (Kingsport, Tenn.)
- Kingsport Press, Inc.
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Science--Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description