Frank P. Smith Papers
Scope and Contents
The Frank P. Smith Papers contain personal research notes, reports, photographs, and East Tennessee State Normal School yearbooks and literary publications documenting the personal activities of Frank P. Smith while both a student at East Tennessee State Normal School and a Tennessee educator between 1919 and 1967. The reports and personal research notes describe frontier culture; these were used possibly by Smith for a research project while a student at East Tennessee State Normal School. The photographs are scenes of the Johnson City campus. The issues of the "Chalkline," "Old Hickory," and "Buccaneer" date between 1925 and 1938 and contain marginalia from friends and colleagues.
- 1920-1967, undated
- Smith, Frank Prigmore, 1897-1972 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply.
1 linear feet (1 document box; 1 flat box)
Language of Materials
The collection is divided into two series; Series 1, Personal Effects, 1924-1967 and Series 2, East Tennessee State Normal School Publications, 1920-1947.
Method of Acquisition
The Frank P. Smith Papers were transferred to the Archives of Appalachia from the B. Carroll Reece Museum by Helen Roseberry, museum coordinator, August 26, 1983.
Scott Schwartz, Alice Cunningham, and Becky Tuthill completed processing, and the records were opened to researchers March 9, 1990.
- East Tennessee State Teachers College
- Frontier and pioneer life--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frontier and pioneer life--West (U.S.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description