Shelby Family Biographies
Scope and Contents
The Shelby Family Biographies consist of short histories of six members of the Shelby family: Evan Shelby, Jr.; Evan's sons, Moses and John Shelby; Evan's nephew, Moses Shelby, Jr.; Evan's brother John Shelby; and John's son, John Shelby, Jr. The biographies were compiled and written by Cass Knight Shelby.The collection contains two letters from Cass Knight Shelby to Gordon Aronhime dated August 29, 1959 and November 10, 1959.
- Shelby, Cass Knight, 1870-1964 (Person)
- Shelby, Evan, 1719-1794 (Person)
- Shelby, John, 1724-1798 (Person)
- Shelby, John, 1751-1818 (Person)
- Shelby, John, b. 1748 (Person)
- Shelby, Moses, 1760-1828 (Person)
- Shelby, Moses, 1761-1823 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
0.10 linear feet
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
Cass Knight Shelby, the author of these biographies, sent copies to Gordon Aronhime, a historian in Bristol, Virginia, in 1959. Hal Smith of Sherrod Library, East Tennessee State University obtained copies from Mr. Aronhime to place in the library. The date of the acquisition is unknown. The papers were transferred to the Archives of Appalachia on February 15, 1979.
David Goodin completed processing, and the collection was opened to research June 15, 1979.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note