Robert M. Shank Collection
Scope and Contents
The Robert M. Shank Collection contains one farmer's account book, newsclippings, newspaper, and a map of Sullivan County, Tennessee. The account book documents Shank's purchase and sale of agricultural products while a Sullivan County farmer and a "debts and records account" of his family's household expenses dating between 1899 and c. 1949. The book also contains a description of home remedies, a mathematical table for calculating the size and weight of different types of farm products, and various legal document forms. The newsclippings and newspaper contain reports of returns for elections held in Sullivan County between 1920 and 1934, a breeding table,and an advertisement for a state conference of the Daughters of the American Revolution held in Johnson City, Tennessee between October 31 and November 3, 1923. The collection also includes an undated map of Sullivan County that identifies district boundaries and the location of some communities within each district.
- Shank, Robert M. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
0.25 linear feet
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
The Robert M. Shank Collection was donated to the Archives of Appalachia by Chester A. Wilson on November 30, 1982.
Dawn Gentry, Missy Garant, and Scott Schwartz completed processing and the collection was opened to researchers on September 30, 1991.
- Jackson, Andrew, 1767-1845
- Sevier, John, 1745-1815
- Agriculture--Tennessee, East Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Daughters of the American Revolution
- Livestock--Breeding Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Maps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sullivan County (Tenn.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Traditional medicine--formulae, receipts, prescriptions Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA