George C. Sells Papers
Scope and Contents
The George C. Sells Papers contain general histories of the General Shale Products Corporation, a memorandum written by a company official, histories of two companies acquired by General Shale (the Locher Brick Company of Glasgow, Virginia, and the Chattahoochee Brick Company of Georgia), a speech by Douglas Whitlock presented at a brick industry meeting in 1962, a reprint of a magazine article about General Shale, and a master's thesis on the use of convict labor at the Chattahoochee Brick Company (with an explanatory letter by its author). Collectively, these documents describe the history of General Shale and the brick industry from the middle of the nineteenth century until the latter part of the twentieth century. The papers in the collection date from 1962 to 1991.
- Sells, George C. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
0.25 linear feet
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
The George C. Sells Papers were donated to the Archives of Appalachia by George C. Sells on April 2, 1992.
J.Crawford completed processing, and the papers were opened to researchers in August 1996.
- English, James Warren, 1837-1925
- Johnson, J. Fred (John Frederick), 1874-1944
- Locher, Charles S.
- Brick trade Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Brickmaking Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chattahoochee Brick Company
- Convict labor -- Georgia Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- General Shale Products Corporation
- Industries -- Tennessee -- Johnson City Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Industries -- Tennessee -- Kingsport Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Johnson City Shale Brick Corporation
- Kingsport Brick Corporation
- Locher Brick Company
- Publications (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Tennessee, East--Industries Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- United States--Economic conditions Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA