Tennessee Valley Authority Cemetery Records
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents
The flooding of the areas and construction on the Cherokee and Douglas dams forced a number of graves to be removed and relocated by TVA. Before this was done, TVA generated a number of records as to where the graves had been located as well as their new locations. The Tennessee Valley Authority Cemetery Records contain information on TVA grave removals and cemetery data for both the Cherokee Reservoir and Douglas Reservoir areas in East Tennessee. Included in the collection are a number of land acquisition and preliminary land ownership maps, and maps detailing cemeteries before grave removal at both Cherokee Reservoir and Douglas Reservoir. The collection includes photocopies of Cherokee Dam construction photographs and an index to negatives that are stored in the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) branch in Georgia. The collection was created by Donald Heiss through years of research that led to his book Family Histories: Lives Lost, Lives Found, Lives Honored Again! The collection covers the period of 1941-2003, with some undated materials.
- 1940-2003 and undated
- Tennessee Valley Authority (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
0.50 linear feet (1 box, 1 oversized folder)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged as one series with material filed alphabetically by subject. Maps in the oversized folder are arranged alphabetically by the title of the map.
Method of Acquisition
The Tennessee Valley Authority Cemetery Records were donated to the Archives of Appalachia by Donald R. Heiss, Jefferson City, Tennessee, on July 22, 2006.
This collection was processed by Brianne Johnson and opened for research in December 2006.
- Cemeteries -- Tennessee Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cherokee Dam (Tenn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Corporation records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Douglas Dam Subject Source: Local sources
- Flood dams and reservoirs -- Tennessee Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Registers of births, etc.--Tennessee--Hamblen County Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Registers of births, etc.--Tennessee--Jefferson County Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Brianne Johnson
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note