Duncan and Linda Williamson Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 29 cassette copies of recordings collected by Linda Williamson that feature Duncan Williamson’s live performances of songs and stories at ceilidhs and community gatherings in Scotland. The recordings feature Jack tales, ghost stories, traditional songs, and discussion about tales and the character Jack. Other singers and tellers featured in the recordings include Jock Williamson, Echy Sutherland, Mary Cameron, Mary Williamson, Adrian Robertson, Ewan Robertson, Ben Haggarty, Iain Graham, and Flora McPhearson.
- Williamson, Linda, 1949- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The recordings are available for educational and research use in the Archives of Appalachia. The recordings are not available on loan.
Conditions Governing Use
Transcripts and audio recordings of folk tales may not be duplicated.
0.40 linear feet (29 cassette audio recordings (copies))
Language of Materials
The collection is divided into two series: Series 1, Folktale Transcripts, 1976-1990, Box 1; and Series 2, Sound Recordings, 1976-1990, 29 tapes. The School of Scottish Studies at the University of Edinburgh assigned numbers to the recordings when placed in their Archives. The numbers incorporate the year of the recording followed by the number of the tape collected that year (ie. 1976/46). The numbering system places the tapes in chronological order. The numbering created by the School for Scottish Studies has been retained.
Method of Acquisition
On May 2, 1990 Linda Williamson sent to the Center for Appalachian Studies and Services copies of recordings of Duncan Williamson and other Scottish storytellers and singers collected by Williamson for addition to the archives at the School of Scottish Studies at the University of Edinburgh. The recordings were copied from the School of Scottish Studies by Fred Kent. Ms. Williamson sent transcriptions of a portion of the recordings, transcribed by herself and Bob Sutherland (two transcripts). The Center for Appalachian Studies and Services provided financial support for this project.
Norma Myers completed processing the collection on March 28, 2002. The recordings were previously arranged and indexed by Marie Tedesco and Roy Andrade.
- Robertson, Ewan
- Sutherland, Echy
- Williamson, Jock
- Ceilidh dancing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- McDermitt, Barbara Rice Damron
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Riddles Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Scottish songs and ballads Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Storytelling Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Superstition Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Travellers Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Williamson, Duncan, 1928-2007
- Norma Myers
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note