WCYB Radio Tapes
Collection — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents
The WCYB Radio Tapes include country music performed on the WCYB programs "Farm and Fun Time" and the "Thrift Supply Company Show," 1947-49. The featured group on six of the tapes, the Tennessee Hilltoppers, played country music which featured electric guitar, fiddle, mandolin, bass, and vocals. One of the tapes contains WOPI Radio (Bristol, Tennessee) transcriptions. Included on this tape is a segment of the "Tennessee Ernie Ford Show."
- WCYB (Radio station : Bristol, Tenn.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for onsite research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to duplicate/publish/display publicly must be secured from the copyright holder(s). The Archives does not have any information about who holds the copyright for these tapes.
7.00 Sound recordings (Seven 7-inch Reel-to-Reel Audio Tapes, Seven 60-minute Audio Cassettes (User Copies))
Language of Materials
The tapes are arranged into one series and numbered according to numbers already assigned to the tapes. The user cassette numbers match those on the reel-to-reel tapes.
In 1979 Blaustein and Middle Tennessee State University professor Charles Wolfe obtained the permission of Don Campbell, Johnson City, Tennessee, owner of several WCYB transcription discs, to make audio tape copies of the discs.
Method of Acquisition
The WCYB Radio Tapes were donated to the archives in 1990 by Richard Blaustein, director of the Center for Appalachian Studies and Services, East Tennessee State University.
Processing of the collection was completed in 1992 by Marie Tedesco.
- Campbell, Don
- Ford, Tennessee Ernie, 1919-
- Kelsey, V. V.
- King, Curly
- Morris, Shorty
- Russell, Roy
- Country music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fiddle tunes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Leonard, Zeke (Therl Edward), 1924-2008
- Tennessee Ernie Ford Show (Radio program) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Tennessee Hilltoppers (Musical group) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Thrift Supply Company show (Radio program) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- WOPI (Radio station: Bristol, Tenn.)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note