Williams, Samuel Cole, 1864-1947
- Existence: 1864 - 1947
Samuel C. Williams was born January 15, 1864 in Gibson County near Humboldt, Tennessee. He attended Vanderbilt University's School of Law and graduated in June 1884. In 1892 Williams moved to Johnson City, Tennessee where he and John D. Cox established the branch of Banking and Trust Company which later became Unaka National Bank, Tennessee National Bank, and finally Hamilton National Bank. In addition, Williams and Walter P. Brownlow jointly owned Watauga Light and Power Company and Johnson City Transit Company. Judge Williams also had interests in Empire Chair Company and the John Sevier Hotel. In 1912 he became Chancellor of First Chancery Division of Tennessee. In 1913 he was appointed to the Tennessee Supreme Court. The next year he was elected to the court for a four year term. He served as first dean of the Lamar School of Law, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia from 1919 to 1924. Judge Williams retired to his home, "Aquone", at Johnson City, Tennessee. He was appointed to codify the laws of Tennessee in 1928 and in 1938 was a member of the Advisory Committee on the Rules of Civil Procedure in the Federal Courts. He died December 14, 1947.
Judge Williams was a scholar of Tennessee history and gave many items to Upper East Tennessee libraries and museums. He wrote the History of the Lost State of Franklin and many other books and articles on Tennessee. He was also in part responsible for providing the land and financing of the public library in Johnson City named in memory of his only son, Mayne Williams.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Judge Samuel C. Williams Notes and Typescript
William Flinn Rogers Papers
The collection is arranged into five series. Series 1: Personal Papers. Series 2: Professional Papers. Series 3: Photographs. Series 4: Audio Material. Series 5: Oversize Materials. The items are arranged alphabetically by subject title within the series.