Garland, John Robinson
The First Utility District of Carter County, Tennessee was created under the Utility District Act of 1937 to provide a water supply distribution system to residents in a portion of Carter County lying outside areas serviced by municipal water services such as that in Elizabethton, Tenn. It is governed by a board of commissioners headed by a president. A manager, appointed by the commissioners, oversees daily operations of the utility. In 1950, the utility commissioners issued bonds amounting to $455,000 to finance the construction of a complete water distribution system. The system was completed and put into service in November of 1951. For many years, John Robinson Garland served as the utility district president.