Jones, Carl A. (Carleton Allen), 1912-1992
- Existence: 1912 - 1992
Carl Allen Jones, Jr., was born on October 13, 1912 in Bristol, Virginia. His father, Carl A. Jones, Sr. (1879-1950), had moved from Bainbridge, Ohio to Bristol, where in 1907 he became owner of the local Coca-Cola bottling franchise, the Dixie Coca-Cola Bottling Company. Money from this enterprise allowed Jones to expand into several other business enterprises, including newspapers and department stores, usually in association with fellow Bristol businessman Charles J. Harkrader (1885-1976). Following graduation in 1934 from Ohio State University, Carl A. Jones, Jr. joined his father and Harkrader that same year in founding the Johnson City Press newspaper, serving initially as business manager.
Chronology of the Johnson City Press
- The Jones family and partner Charles J. Harkrader start the Johnson City Press newspaper.
- The Jones family acquires ownership of the Johnson City Chronicle and Staff-News. The Chronicle becomes the city’s morning paper and the Johnson City Press the city’s afternoon paper.
- The Jones family buys out Charles Harkrader’s share of the newspapers and become sole owners of the Johnson City newspapers
- The Johnson City Chronicle and the Johnson City Press are merged into the Johnson City Press-Chronicle, which begins publishing both a morning and an afternoon edition.
- The newspaper ceases publication of an afternoon edition and reverts to the original 1934 name of the Johnson City Press.
- The Jones family sells the Johnson City Press to Sandusky Newspapers, Inc., of Sandusky, Ohio, ending nearly 70 years of involvement with the newspaper.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 500-AppMs 626
Arrangement The collection is organized into five series as follows: Series 1, Office Files, 1924-2002 and undated; Series 2, Scrapbooks, 1934-2002 and undated; Series 3, Historical Newspapers, 1889-2002; Series 4, Memorabilia, c. 1930s-2000 and undated; and Series 5, Negatives and Photographs, 1894-c. 1990 and undated.