Rogers, William Flinn, 1898-1985
- Existence: 1898 - 1985
The son of William Edwin and Cora Flinn Rogers, William Flinn Rogers was born in Dayton, Rhea County, Tennessee, June 27, 1898. A graduate of the University of Tennessee (B.A. 1918 and M.A. 1925), he taught at Paris High School, Columbia Military Academy, and Knoxville High School before coming to East Tennessee State Teachers College (now East Tennessee State University) in 1925. Rogers was chairman of the history and political science department from 1925 to 1961. After stepping down as chairman, he continued to teach at the university until his retirement in 1968.
In 1966 Chairman Emeritus Rogers received the first Distinguished Faculty Award at East Tennessee State University. The opening the following year of Rogers-Stout Hall on the ETSU campus honored Rogers and his fellow professor, Dr. Dorman G. Stout (1891-1984). The establishment in 1972 of the Rogers Award further recognized Rogers' contribution to the university. This award is presented annually to the outstanding senior history major.
Professor Rogers was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, Johnson City, Tennessee and, for more than fifty years, a member of the Johnson City Kiwanis Club. He died February 15, 1985 at Johnson City Medical Center Hospital.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
The collection is divided into the following series: Series 1, Graduate School Coursework, 1939-49; Series 2, Office Files, 1949-79; Series 3, Teaching, 1949-88; Series 4, Research, 1949-89; Series 5, A University's Story, 1911-1980; Series 6, Professional Service, 1949-88; and Series 7, Other Materials, 1941-92.
The collection is arranged into five series. Series 1: Personal Papers. Series 2: Professional Papers. Series 3: Photographs. Series 4: Audio Material. Series 5: Oversize Materials. The items are arranged alphabetically by subject title within the series.