Burleson, D.S. (David Sinclair), 1871-1953
David Sinclair Burleson was born on December 27, 1871, in the Limestone Cove, Carter-Unicoi County, Tennessee, area. He attended local schools and received both the A. B. and M. A. degrees from Milligan College in 1891. He later attended the University of Virginia, Harvard, and the University of Chicago. He taught at Tazewell Virginia College until 1898, when he moved to Florence State Normal School, Florence, Alabama. In 1911, Burleson became one of the first faculty members of East Tennessee Normal School, where he served as instructor and chairman of the mathematics department. Later, he transferred to the English department and became Dean of the Faculty. He retired in 1947 and died July 22, 1953.
Burleson wrote several books on English grammar and the official history of East Tennessee State College. He served as executive secretary of the East Tennessee Teachers Association for more than 25 years and was active in church affairs. He received an honorary L.L.D. degree from Milligan College in 1951.
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
The Christine Burleson Papers consists of correspondence, clippings, photographs, class assignments and class rolls, student composition papers, notes, essays, university committee records, memoranda, and miscellaneous printed matter documenting the teaching career of Ms. Burleson at ETSU.
The David Sinclar Burleson Papers consist of correspondence, course notes, speeches, personal financial records, and miscellaneous printed matter documenting Burleson's personal life and his experience as an educator.
This collection contains correspondence, educational materials, photographs, typescripts, speeches, poetry, journals, textbooks and certificates related to the Burleson family of Johnson City, Tennessee. The materials document the personal and professional lives of David Sinclair and Mary Dew Burleson, and their children Christine and Gladys Burleson. The collection also contains correspondence related to Mary Dew Burleson's mother, Rebecca Henley Dew.
The records of the Rotary Club consist of a collection of organizational records.
The collection is arranged into 8 series: Series 1, Correspondence, 1936-1977; Series 2, Book Collections and Funds, 1959-1971; Series 3, Library Reports and Studies, 1938-1970; Series 4, Status and Work of Librarians, 1969-1977; Series 5, Library Subject Files, 1941-1977; Series 6, Financial Records, 1912-1973; Series 7, Personnel Records, 1960-1970s; Series 8, Library Addition, 1964-1967.