William P. Harris married Ida Florence Potter (1853-1936) of Rockford, Illinois in 1872, and the couple had four children: Florence (later Mrs. George Torrey Wofford), William H. Harris (1876-1941), who resided in later years in Los Angeles, Calif., Allen Harris (1878-1973), and Lester Potter Harris (1893-1918), who was killed while serving in the U. S. Army in France during World War I. The Harris family helped establish St. John’s Episcopal Church and was generous supporters of the Johnson City Public Library, among other civic causes. Mrs. Harris was first president of the Monday Club.
Allen Harris, Sr., was born in Montclair, New Jersey, in 1878, the son of William P. and Ida Potter Harris. He married Torrey Stanley of Corinth, Mississippi, in 1902. The couple had one son, Allen Harris, Jr. Allen, Sr., joined the family business in 1902 and served as either president or chairman of the board from 1915 until his death in 1973. He was the first chairman of the Johnson City Power Board, president of the National Oak Flooring Manufacturers Association, president of the Johnson City Chamber of Commerce, and active in many civic organizations, including the Rotary Club. He was a member of St. John’s Episcopal Church. Torrey Stanley Harris was an active supporter of the Girl Scouts.
Allen Harris, Jr., was born in Johnson City in 1906, the son of Allen Harris, Sr., and Torrey Stanley Harris. He followed his father into management of Harris Manufacturing following his graduation from Washington and Lee University in 1927 and Harvard University in 1929. He married Ruth Roberts of Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1947 and had two adopted children, Allen “Chip” Harris, III, who died in 1990, and Eva Stanley Harris. During World War II, Harris served as an officer in the U. S. Navy. Allen, Jr., like his father before him, was president of the National Oak Flooring Manufacturers Association and the Johnson City Chamber of Commerce. He also served as president of the Maple Flooring Manufacturers Association, president of the East Tennessee State University Foundation, the Johnson City Medical Center, and the Lumber Trade Association. He was very active in St. John’s Episcopal Church and the Rotary Club, among other civic and social activities.
The Harris family’s Harris Foundation has supported many area projects over the years, including the Johnson City Boys Club, Johnson City Public Library, and an endowed chair in business at ETSU.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
The collection is arranged in five series, as follows: Series 1, Subject Files, 1855-2005 and undated; Series 2, Publications, 1809-1992; and Series 3, Photographs and Photograph Scrapbooks, 1880-1985 and undated; Series 4, Postcards and Tobacco cards, 1907-1967 and undated; and Series 5, Recordings, 1996-2004 and undated.
- Blueprints (reprographic copies) 1
- Cemeteries -- Tennessee 1
- Compact discs 1
- Corporation records 1
- Deeds 1
- Europe -- Description and travel 1
- Flooring, Wooden 1
- Girl Scouts -- Tennessee 1
- Hardwood industry 1
- Industries -- North Carolina 1
- Industries -- Tennessee -- Johnson City 1
- Industries -- Virginia 1
- Johnson City (Tenn.) -- History 1
- Monte Vista Burial Park (Johnson City, Tenn.) 1
- Motion pictures (visual works) 1
- Publications (document genre) 1
- Scotland--pictorial works 1
- Scrapbooks 1 + ∧ less