Southern Railway (U.S.)
Found in 11 Collections and/or Records:
This collection consists of color slides, photographs, negatives, and a videotape relating to railroading. Major subjects are East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad, narrow and standard gauge (Johnson City and Elizabethton, Tenn.); Norfolk and Western Railroad (Bristol, Va., to West Jefferson, N. C.); Southern Pacific Railway (San Luis Obispo, Ca., and environs); and Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad (Cass and Ronceverte, W. Va.).
The Kenny Fannon Photograph Collection consists of copy prints of photographs of the trains and scenery along the Interstate Railroad and Southern Railway in Southwest Virginia as well as images of people, especially school groups. Thirty of the images were originally photographed with a panoramic camera. According to Fannon, the panoramas were made by a photographer surnamed Jenkins who was active circa 1920 to 1940. The other images appear to be from various sources.
The collection consists of nine oversized maps of proposed construction projects for the city of Johnson City. The maps depict the planning of subdivisions, water and sewage line construction, proposed property annexation, the building of (Old) Science Hill High School, and the layout of railroad track through Johnson City.
Boxes 1 and 2 contain correspondence, inventories, purchase contracts, and reports; Boxes 3 and 4 encompass blueprints of telephone poles and lines; and the oversized blueprints and maps are stored in map cabinets by accession number.
The Jack Underwood Photograph Collection consists of seven 35mm copy negative strips, a contact sheet, and photocopies of 16 black and white photographs documenting operations of the Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway and other Appalachian railroads, including scenes of engines, bridges, workers, and derailments.
- Photographs 6
- Negatives (photographic) 4
- Publications (document genre) 4
- Corporation records 3
- Maps 3
- Blueprints (reprographic copies) 2
- Electric power distribution -- Tennessee, East 2
- Electric power production -- Tennessee 2
- Electric utilities -- Tennessee 2
- Flood control 2
- Johnson City (Tenn.) -- History 2
- Railroads 2
- Railroads--Tennessee--Johnson City 2
- Rural electrification 2
- Science Hill High School (Johnson City, Tenn.) 2
- Slides (photographs) 2
- Watauga River (N.C. and Tenn.) 2
- Andrew Johnson National Historic Site (Greenville, Tenn.) 1
- Annexation (Municipal government) -- Tennessee 1
- Appalachia (Va.) 1 + ∧ less