Alpha Delta Pi Sorority. Gamma Phi Chapter (East Tennessee State University)
The roots of Alpha Delta Pi go back to the 1912 founding at East Tennessee State Normal School (ETSNS) of the Mary Moore Davis Literary Society. The faculty sponsor of the group was Delle Dulaney Smith, then a science instructor at ETSNS. In 1916, the society changed its name to the Pi Sigma Literary Society. By the 1930s, Pi Sigma had become primarily social in character. In 1954, Pi Sigma affiliated with the national sorority, Alpha Delta Pi, which authorized the establishment of the Gamma Phi chapter at East Tennessee State College. Three years later, Alpha Delta Pi's records and memorabilia were destroyed in the fire which burned the old Panhellenic building. Throughout the late 1950s and the 1960s the sorority continued to participate in the social life of the campus and in the 1990s remains an established sorority on the East Tennessee State University campus.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Scope and Contents The Lucy Repass McPherson Collection consists of materials from three scrapbooks, only one of which is intact. Materials from Grace Repass’ scrapbook date from 1939 to 1948. These materials include personal correspondence from friends and family members and correspondence, ephemera, newsclippings, and programs relating to her membership in the Order of the Eastern Star as well as her activities in the United Service Organization, the Jonesboro Presbyterian Church, and the Washington County,...