Washington County Historic Structures Survey Project
Funded by the Tennessee Historical Commission and the United States National Park Service, the Washington County Historic Structures Survey Project was conducted between 1983 and 1986 by Dr. Dale Royalty, associate professor in the Department of History, East Tennessee State University. The survey identified all buildings constructed in Washington County, Tennessee prior to 1931 that were eligible for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places; this would establish the historic value of specific East Tennessee structures and insure their preservation for the future. The Historic Structures Survey Project originated in 1966 with the passage of the National Historical Preservation Act that permitted the United States Secretary of the Interior to designate funds for the preservation and conservation of important historic structures throughout the United States.
Upon completion of the Washington County survey over 5,000 buildings had been identified, catalogued, and photographed. An additional 186 building surveys, compiled during a previous study, were included with the final survey.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The records are arranged into two series as follows: Series 1, Survey Forms and Related Records, 1983-1986, and Series 2, Computer Discs, 1983-1986. Note: The data from the earlier survey is not contained on the discs.