East Tennessee State University. College of Education
East Tennessee State University's College of Education (established in 1963) evolved from the Department of Education established with the opening of the East Tennessee State Normal School (forerunner of ETSU) in 1911. The primary purpose of the normal school and later the College of Education was and remains to train teachers for elementary and secondary school instruction and administration. In 1955, a School of Education was created which administered the Departments of Education, Home Economics, Industrial Arts, Health Education, Library Science, Music Education, Philosophy, Physical Education, Psychology, Religion, General Science and Science Education, and the Training School (later University School). The school became a college with a dean upon the extension of East Tennessee State College to university status in 1963. The first dean of the college was L. Scott Honaker, Jr. (1963-80). The following deans have succeeded Honaker: William A. Pafford (acting, 1980-81); Charles W. Edwards (1981-86); Floyd H. Edwards (acting, 1986-87); Norma Nutter (1987-93), Martha D. Collins (1993-present).
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 100-UnivRec 505
Arrangement The records are arranged in two series: Series 1, Accreditation Records, 1948-55 and Series 2, Blueprints and Drawings, 1966-81 and undated. Series 1 is arranged chronologically. Series 2 is arranged alphabetically by the subject of the blueprints/drawings and then chronologically with undated material filed after dated material.