Phi Kappa Phi. East Tennessee State University Chapter
The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi was started by a group of 10 students at the University of Main at Orono in 1897. The honor society was originally called the Lambda Sigma Eta, but it was soon changed to the Morrill Society, in honor of Senator Justin Morrill the Sponsor of the congressional act which provided for land-grant colleges in the United States. In 1900, it was transferred into a national society and, at the same time the society was renamed Phi Kappa Phi, from the initial letters of the Greek words forming its adopted motto: "Philosophia Krateito Photon ("Let the love of learning rule mankind.")
On December 3, 1969, word was received by Miss Ella V. Ross, sponsor for Kappa Lambda Local Honor Society, that the Executive Council of the National Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, at its meeting in Los Angeles, had approved the petition to establish a Chapter of Phi Kappa Phi at East Tennessee State University. The initial meeting of potential members of the ETSU chapter was held February 3, 1970 with Dean Ella Ross presiding. The chapter has been active since this date. The chapter has honored students for academic achievement and scholarship with membership.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
The records are divided into four series: Series 1, General Office Files; Series 2, Chairmen's Council Minutes; Series 3, Professional Load Reports; and Series 4, Graduate Assistant Files. In Series 1 the files for the 1972-1973 academic year are missing, and in Series 3 reports for 1971-1972 are missing.
The collection is arranged into six series as follows: Series 1, Administrative Records, 1969-1990; Series 2, Committee Records, 1972-1990; Series 3, Financial Records, 1972-1988; Series 4, Membership Records, 1970-1991; Series 5, Subject Files, 1970-1990; and Series 6, Photographs, 1987 and undated.