Sigma Alpha Epsilon. Tennessee Alpha (East Tennessee State University)
The Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity was founded nationally in 1856. The "Sons of Minerva," who had left their respective collegiate chapters, renewed the bonds of brotherhood and requested the national fraternity establish a colony at East Tennessee State College in 1960. The Phi Alpha Colony of Sigma Alpha Epsilon was established at ETSC on May 5th. At approximately 3:15 p.m. on October 26, 1963, the colony became the 142nd chapter of the fraternity as Tennessee Alpha at East Tennessee State University. In January 1978 the fraternity's house at 2810 W. Walnut Street was destroyed in a fire. The fraternity disbanded in 1983.