Watauga Historical Association
On April 9, 1796, the Tennessee General Assembly created Carter County out of the northern and eastern sections of Washington County. The Carter County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions was organized July 4, 1796 and met at the home of Samuel Tipton. The magistrates elected were Andrew Greer, Landon Carter, Nathaniel Taylor, David NcNabb, Zachariah Campbell, Guttredge Garland, John Vaught, Joseph Sands and Reuben Thornton. Officers for the court and county were elected and included Godfrey Carriger, register; Joseph Sands, ranger; George Williams, clerk; John Maclin, trustee; Nathaniel Taylor, sheriff; and Charles Colyer, Aaron Cunningham, Samuel Musgrove, Thomas Whitson, Solomon Campbell and John Robertson, constables.
The collection consists of documents from the Carter County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions covering the period from 1796 to 1866. Included are articles of agreement between early settlers regarding purchases and rent of land, crops and improvement of land; bills of sale for the stores of Carter Cash & Company and Daily, Simpson and Company, for horses and household goods, and for a stay at an ordinary; deposition regarding a missing horse; narratives concerning carpentry, debts and horse trading; and bonds for administration of estates, for holding county offices, for operating an ordinary, for bastardy cases and for witnesses appearing in court.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Watauga Historical Association Collection
Among the various types of documents are articles of agreement, bills of sale, bonds, declarations, depositions, indentures, indictments, interrogatories, inventories, judgments, list of jurors, minutes of the court, notices, oaths, orders, petitions, pleas in abatement, promissory notes, receipts, securities, recognizances, references and writs.