Skip to main content

Tennessee Valley Authority

 Organization

The Tennessee Valley Authority Project was initiated by Congress in 1933 after twelve years of lobbying by Senator George W. Norris, a Nebraska Republican. While Norris' proposal dealt specifically with the federal government's conversion and operation of the Muscle Shoals' power and munitions project (1), President Franklin D. Roosevelt proposed to Congress the expansion of it to include the construction of dams along the entire Tennessee River. The primary purpose behind the construction of dams along the Tennessee River was to control river flooding and facilitate navigation and, secondarily, for the generation of electricity for rural communities. His plan "was to tie industry, agriculture, forestry, and flood control together over an area of 1,000 miles."(2).

In the 1940’s, TVA concentrated on water navigation, flood control, and power production, which lead to the building of the Cherokee and Douglas Dams. The Cherokee Dam, located on the Holston River in East Tennessee, was completed on December 5, 1941. Douglas Dam, located on the French Broad River in East Tennessee, was completed in February 1942.
1. The Federal Govenrment owned property on the Tennessee River at Muscle Shoals, Alabama which included two nitrate plants and a hydroelectric plant at Wilson Dam. The TVA Project was an elaborate solution to the government's disposition of the Muscle Shoals project after World War I, when it was no longer needed for munitions production.

2. Thomas K. McCraw, TVA and the Power Fight 1933-1939, (New York: J.B. Lippincott, 1971), P.71.

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Tennessee Valley Authority Cemetery Records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: AppMs-733
Arrangement The collection is arranged as one series with material filed alphabetically by subject. Maps in the oversized folder are arranged alphabetically by the title of the map.
Dates: 1940-2003 and undated

Tennessee Valley Authority Property and Acquisitions Collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: AppMs-333
Arrangement Boxes 1 and 2 contain correspondence, inventories, purchase contracts, and reports; Boxes 3 and 4 encompass blueprints of telephone poles and lines; and the oversized blueprints and maps are stored in map cabinets by accession number.
Dates: 1917-1941