Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society. Southern Appalachian Chapter
The Society of the Sigma Xi was founded at Cornell University in 1886. Following the merger in 1974 of Sigma Xi and the Scientific Research Society of America, the organization became known as Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society of North America. The Southern Appalachian Chapter of Sigma Xi was chartered on April 20, 1967 at King College under the leadership of Dr. Raymond Seeger with the purpose of encouraging the “original investigation in science, pure and applied.” Members of the chapter include scientists and educators from colleges, universities, schools, and private industry in the region. Over the years, East Tennessee State University and Eastman Chemical Company had the largest percentage of members. In 1984, what had been a club status for the organization, changed to chapter status recognition from the national organization.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The Southern Appalachian Chapter of Sigma Xi Records document the activities and operations of the Johnson City, Tenn.-based chapter of the national Sigma Xi organization, including chapter meetings and sponsorship of a science fair. The collection includes charter information, correspondence, financial records, reports, records of meetings, membership information, newsletters and miscellaneous publications.