Skip to main content

St. John's Episcopal Church (Johnson City, Tenn.)

 Organization

Biography

The first Episcopal church service held in Johnson City, Tennessee was on June 26, 1889. The service was conducted by Reverend Dr. Samuel Ringgold of St. John’s Episcopal Church, Knoxville and was attended by a total of sixteen people. In the beginning, the congregation met in schools and unused store rooms until the Lusk School building was secured as a regular meeting place.

The congregation grew over time, and, on September 7, 1905, the cornerstone of a church building was laid. This church building, designed in the English Tudor-style of architecture, was constructed at the corner of North Roan Street and Myrtle Avenue and used river stone for exterior walls. Money for the building was raised through memberships and by the church women selling baked goods. St. John’s received its first deacon in 1971.

In 1981, an extensive building project renovated the exisiting structure and added new education and office space. A further major building program was begun in 2000 that saw the addition of a new sanctuary and the restoration of the existing santuary (now to be used as a chapel) to its original interior design. River rock was used from the same quarry that supplied its first cornerstone in 1905. The project was completed in the fall of 2001.

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Harris Manufacturing Company Records and Harris Family Papers

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: AppMs-409
Arrangement Sub-Group 1 is arranged into 20 series organized by the records of the various individual companies as well as the Harris Foundation established by the Harris family. Photographs and film related to these enterprises has been housed in a separate Series 20. The Sub-Group 1 series are as follows: Series 1, Harris Manufacturing Company Records, 1903-1990 and undated; Series 2, Harris Flooring Company Records, 1912-1984 and undated; Series 3, Harris Hardwood Company Records, 1919-1984 and...
Dates: 1850-1990 and undated

Burr Harrison Photographs

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: AppMs-64
Scope and Contents The Burr Harrison Photographs consist of 380 photographic images (prints and negatives) depicting Johnson City and environs circa 1881-1958. The collection represents only a portion of Harrison's work, as much of it did not survive. The collection centers on photographs of commercial buildings in downtown Johnson City; industries, residences, apartment houses and churches in the city; buildings and activities at Mountain Home; and buildings at East Tennessee State Normal School (ETSNS). Some...
Dates: 1881-1958

St. John’s Episcopal Church Records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: AppMs-416
Arrangement

The collection is arranged into three series, as follows: Series 1, Subject Files, 1930-1994 and undated; Series 2, Financial Records, 1928-1978; and Series 3, Memorabilia, 1905-1957 and undated.

Dates: 1905-1994 and undated

Additional filters:

Subject
Church history -- Tennessee 2
Corporation records 2
Industries -- Tennessee -- Johnson City 2
Personal papers 2
Andrew Johnson National Historic Site (Greenville, Tenn.) 1