Johnson City Rotary Club
As early as 1916, alert leaders in Johnson City were talking about a Rotary Club. It is reported that, at that time, the International Association of Rotary Clubs was not too enthusiastic about the organization of Rotary Clubs in smaller cities. However, Johnson City men would not be dissuaded. On October 18, 1916, District Governor Jim Allon was present at a luncheon at Hotel Winsdor. On hand, also, were seventeen prospective members.
Records indicate that at the time, the governor agreed to set up a preliminary organization. Bert Powder was elected chairman and Munsey Slack was elected secretary. The Nashville Club agreed to sponsor the new club. Officers were elected. They were: Bert Powder, president; J. W. Ring, vice-president; Munsey Slack, secretary; and W. F. Green, treasurer. A lawyer of the group, Thad Cox, drew up a state charter, signed November 14, 1916.
It is not possible to list all the accomplishments of the Johnson City Rotary Club. For fifty years, the Johnson City Rotary Club has felt the civic pulse of the entire community. As an organization and through individual members, positive results have been stimulated and characterized. Through the years, an intricate progressive inventory has been maintained about Rotary purposes, affective administration, lively membership and total functioning.