Boones Creek Male and Female Seminary (Washington County, Tenn.)
The Boones Creek Male and Female Seminary was founded in 1851 with a Board of Trustees and a grant of land of an acre and three-fourths received October 10, 1851. A two-room brick building was built in 1852 and 1853. The Seminary received a charter from the state legislature in 1856. In 1863, the name was changed to Boones Creek Male and Female Institute. The school became a public school in 1870 but required a small fee of the students per month. Boones Creek Male and Female Institute was established as a county high school in 1907. The Boones Creek School, or Boones Creek High School as it was variously referred to, moved into a new building in 1924 and again in 1939. The 1939 building was funded in part with Works Progress Administration monies. In 1951 two additions were made to the building. In 1971 a new high school, Daniel Boone, was built at another site, and the Boones Creek School became a middle school.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Boons [Boones] Creek Male & Female Seminary Papers consist of photostatic negatives of the constitution and bylaws of the school, lists of students, and a financial statement.
The collection consists of recordings of interviews conducted by Gunter's students in connection with his courses on social geography. The interview subjects are primarily from East Tennessee and often discuss topics of regional interest such as music, farm life, coal mining, and foodways. The collection also includes dub sheets for the first eight tapes, partial transcripts of tapes 2, 5 and 6, and summaries of interviews.