Skip to main content

Elizabethton Star

 Organization

The Elizabethton Star was established in 1914 (Editor and Publisher International Yearbook, 1970), 1927 (American Newspapers, 1821-1936) or 1929 (Ayer's Directory, 1956). According to January 1, 1929 edition, the paper was published by the Elizabethton Star Publishing Company, Inc. located at the corner of Elk Avenue and Main Street. At that time the Star was printed daily in the evenings except Sundays and sold annually for $6.00 by carrier and $4.00 by mail. In its credo the paper promised to be an "Independent Newspaper, Devoted to Upbuilding of Carter and Johnson Counties."

The Elizabethton Star has continued to be an independent daily newspaper. The circulation has grown from 3,842 in 1937 to 8,000 daily and 9,500 on Sundays in 1982. The cost of a subscription increased to $24.00 annually in 1973 and remained the same through 1982. In the 1960's the operation was moved to its present location at 300 N. Sycamore Street, Elizabethton, Tennessee.

Although there have been several changes in the management, the paper has continued to be a publication of the corporation now known as Elizabethton Newspapers, Inc. A partial list of editors and publishers is as follows:

PUBLISHERS Elizabethton Star, Inc. c. 1945 Paul Morris, 1946-c.1949 William S. Waddel, 1950-1953 Howard H. Zumbro, 1954-1955 Frank Robinson, 1956-1984

EDITORS Joe H. Nixon, c. 1937-c.1941 M. S. Bangs, Jr., 1942-c.1945 Paul Morris, 1946-c.1949 Don Calfie, 1950-1951 Harlan Edwards, 1952-1953 Mack Morris, 1954-1957 Frank Robinson, 1958-1959 Fred Behrend, 1960-1970 Bill Jenkins, 1971-1978 Joe Bowling, 1979-1982

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Elizabethton Star Negative Collection

 Collection
Identifier: AppMs-125
Scope and Contents The Elizabethton Star Negative Collection contains 4 x 5 and 2½ x 2½, black and white safety film negatives of pictures taken by the staff photographers for the Elizabethton Star newspaper. Five glass negatives have been kept with the collection.The negatives date from 1956 to 1968. The newspaper also kept in its files a few copy negatives made from older pictures which preserve earlier scenes in Elizabethton.The negatives concern the following subjects: news events;...
Dates: 1956-1968