East Tennessee State College
- Usage: 1943 - 1963
In recognition of “social and economic changes” and demands for “broader educational opportunities from high school graduates in the area served by the College,” State Teachers College was renamed East Tennessee State College by the Tennessee Board of Education in February 1943 to reflect the availability of educational programs outside of that of teacher education. The name was changed again, to East Tennessee State University, on March 5, 1963, by means of a bill signed by Governor Frank Clement. Charles C. Sherrod remained college president until 1949, when that office was filled by Burgin E. Dossett, Sr.
Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
The Fudge Family Papers consist of Fudge Family diplomas (most from East Tennessee State College); a folder of genealogical material including a typed copy of Thompson McGhee's will and a copy of "Traditions of the Fudge Family" by Joe Fudge of Alleghany County, Virginia; and some certificates awarded to Helen Fudge Crabb.
Files are arranged in alphabetical order by subject content with the scrapbook stored in an oversized box. Note: Hunt's book "Recovering the Sacred: Papers from the Sanctuary and the Academy" and a biography of Hunt written by James C. Logan titled "A Charge to Keep: The Life of Earl Gladstone Hunt, Jr." were removed and have been cataloged into Special Collections.
Ridley Wills began collecting Tennessee postcards in the 1930s, eventually amassing some 30,000 postcards. In 2015, he began distributing them to regional institutions. The cards in this collection represent landmarks in East Tennessee, especially in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and in Carter, Greene, Johnson, Sullivan, Washington and Unicoi Counties. There are images of schools, churches, hotels, towns, railroads, scenery and more.