East Tennessee State Teachers College
- Usage: 1925 - 1930
In November 1924, the Tennessee State Board of Education authorized East Tennessee State Normal School (ETSNS) to change from a three-year normal school to a teachers’ college that could offer a Bachelor of Science degree. The Tennessee General Assembly approved the change in 1925 and ETSNS became East Tennessee State Teachers College. Following the resignation of ETSNS President Sidney Gilbreath on March 15, 1925, Dr. Charles C. Sherrod was elected president by the Board of Education on June 19, 1925. The college was renamed State Teachers College, Johnson City in February 1930.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Ridley Wills began collecting Tennessee postcards in the 1930s, eventually amassing some 30,000 postcards. In 2015, he began distributing them to regional institutions. The cards in this collection represent landmarks in East Tennessee, especially in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and in Carter, Greene, Johnson, Sullivan, Washington and Unicoi Counties. There are images of schools, churches, hotels, towns, railroads, scenery and more.