East Tennessee State Normal School
- Usage: 1911 - 1925
East Tennessee State Normal School (ETSNS) was one of four Tennessee normal schools (three for white students, one for black students) authorized by the General Education Act of 1909. Five East Tennessee counties competed for the location of the school and Johnson City in Washington County won with a bid of $75,000 in county bonds, $75,000 in city bonds, free lights and water, a promise of paved walkways and streetcar lines to the school grounds, and 120 acres donated by industrialist George L. Carter. The Normal school opened on October 2, 1911 with an enrollment of about 150 students.
The school offered two courses of study: a four-year Academic Course that was open to students who had finished elementary school; and a two-year Normal Course that was open to students who had finished high school. Tuition was free for Tennessee residents and twelve dollars per term for non-residents. The first campus buildings were the main academic building (now Gilbreath Hall), a women’s dormitory, a dining facility, a heating plant, and the president’s residence.
Effective in the fall of 1925, the three Tennessee normal schools for white students were converted to teachers’ colleges and East Tennessee State Normal School became East Tennessee State Teachers College. Sidney Gordon Gilbreath served as the president of ETSNS from 1911 until his resignation on March 15, 1925.
Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
The Elma Lillian Rankin Beeson Papers contain newspaper clippings, class record books, and photographs pertaining to her teaching career at East Tennessee State Normal School. Also included are extensive photographs, postcards and a diary of her 1913 trip to Europe. The papers also contain part of the Rankin family history and several certificates and awards resulting from Beeson's activities involving Tusculum College and various ladies civic clubs.
The bulk of the Alta Elizabeth Pardue Keirn Papers consists of photographs from the early twentieth century, including numerous photographs taken at and near East Tennessee State Normal School where Keirn was a student from 1911-1914. The photographs mainly depict other students and school activities, such as sports and theater. There are also several documents, including a brief biographical sketch of Keirn by an unknown author.
The Nola and Robert Kemmer Collection consists of subject certificates and diplomas from East Tennessee State Normal School and East Tennessee State College. The diplomas and subject certificates were signed by Normal School President Sidney G. Gilbreath and Dean C. Hodge Mathes. Also included is a United States Food Administration Certificate signed by Gilbreath and by Herbert Hoover, United States Food Administrator; and a State of Tennessee, Department of Education certificate.
The pages of the first album were removed from the album cover and placed in original page order in folders. Loose photographs are grouped together in one folder. The second album was in good condition and remains intact.