Skip to main content

Johnson City press (Johnson City, Tenn. : 1934)



On June 12, 1934, Press Incorporated began publishing the Johnson City Press, an independent newspaper. The corporation was headed by Charles Harkrader, Sr., Carl Jones, Sr., and Carl Jones, Jr.

In the fall of 1934, the Chronicle, a morning paper and the Staff-News, an evening paper, declared bankruptcy and were operated for several months by George Dugger, an Elizabethton attorney who was trustee of the Chronicle Publishing Company.

On January 2, 1935 the papers were sold to Colonel James Hammond, owner and publisher of the Memphis Daily Appeal. Less than three weeks later, Hammond sold the paper to Press Incorporated.

In 1939 the Jones family bought out Harkrader's interest in Press Incorporated, and Carl Jones, Jr. was named publisher of the Johnson City Chronicle and the Press and Staff-News. The two papers merged on June 6, 1943 and became known as the Johnson City Press-Chronicle, which was published mornings, evenings and Sundays.

On September 30, 1985, the Johnson City Press was reestablished as the name of the paper. At this time the newspaper ceased publication of the evening edition.

A more detailed history of newspaper publishing in Johnson City may be found in the archives vertical files.


Historical note excerpted from article by Johnson City Press staff writer Henry Samples, date unknown.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Carl A. Jones Papers

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 500-AppMs 626

The collection is organized into five series as follows: Series 1, Office Files, 1924-2002 and undated; Series 2, Scrapbooks, 1934-2002 and undated; Series 3, Historical Newspapers, 1889-2002; Series 4, Memorabilia, c. 1930s-2000 and undated; and Series 5, Negatives and Photographs, 1894-c. 1990 and undated.

Dates: 1889-2002