Skip to main content

Mary Hardin McCown Collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 500-AppMs 468
The collection consists of clippings, photographs, scrapbooks, booklets/pamphlets, correspondence, journals, typed notes by Mary Hardin McCown on local history, women, War of 1812 soldiers and veterans in Tennessee, Civil War in Tennessee, Tennessee Society of Daughters of the American Revolution, Johnson City Kiwanis Club, E. A. Galbraith and Galbraith's Springs in Hawkins County, Tenn., genealogy, historical preservation, and patriotic organizations. The collection also contains issues of Carolina Comments; materials on Mary Hardin McCown's activities as a census enumerator; military records; and materials on East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad and Cranberry Iron Works.

Dates

  • 1790-1985

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research.

Extent

87.00 Boxes

Arrangement

The Mary Hardin McCown Collection is arranged into four series, as follows: Series I, Historical Files, 1866-1985 and undated, Boxes 1-44, oversized folder 1-6, and map box 1; Series II, Genealogical files, 1790-1983 and undated, Boxes 45-68 and oversized folder 7; Series III, Personal Files, 1890-1982 and undated, Boxes 69-84 and oversized folder 7; and Series IV, Photographs, 1869-1982 and undated,, Boxes 85-87 and oversized negative folder 1.

Method of Acquisition

The papers of Mary Hardin McCown were originally donated to the Emmanuel School of Religion at Milligan College upon the death of Mrs. McCown in 1985, by her son Wallace Hardin McCown, of Manteo, North Carolina.

About 1995, materials from Emmanuel were separated with the permission of Wallace Hardin McCown, Mrs. McCown's son. Emmanuel retained materials related to the school and to Milligan College. The remainder of the collection was given to the custody of Lorraine Rae and Mildred Kozsuch to be donated as appropriate.

In May 1995, 11 boxes of materials were transferred from Emmanuel School of Religion to the Archives of Appalachia by Mildred Kozsuch, with the permission of Wallace Hardin McCown.

In 1995 and 1999, Mildred Kozsuch donated additional parts of the collection to the Archives of Appalachia. In November 2006, the remaining portion of the collection was donated to the Archives of Appalachia by Lorraine Rae and Mildred Kozsuch.

Separated Materials

Numerous unannotated maps were removed from this collection and added to the Archives of Appalachia map collection. A complete list is in the collection file and is available on request.

Processing Information

Adam Fletcher, Colleen Trenwith, Ashley Cate, and Ned Irwin processed the collection which was opened for research in April 2011.

Repository Details

Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository

Contact:
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA
423-439-4338