Office of the President Records: Sidney G. Gilbreath
Collection — Multiple Containers
The Gilbreath Papers comprises 18.5 linear feet of documents. The bulk of the collection consists of Gilbreath's correspondence with state and local education officials, normal school faculty members and students, business and industrial leaders, and other persons. Other materials include applications for teaching positions at East Tennessee State Normal School, minutes of faculty meetings, and Gilbreath's writings.
- Majority of material found within 1911 - 1925
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
18.50 linear feet
The papers consists of 4 series: Series 1, Correspondence, 1909-1927; Series 2, Applications for Teaching Positions at East Tennessee State Normal School, 1911-1925; Series 3, Minutes of Faculty Meetings, 1911-1916; Series 4, Gilbreath's Writings, undated.
Method of Acquisition
The Sidney G. Gilbreath Papers were placed in the University Archives in June 1979. Prior to that time the documents had been stored in several locations on the East Tennessee State University campus. The papers were opened for research in January 1980.
The University Archives staff completed processing the collection in 1980.
- Ayers, Brown, 1856-1919
- Bourland, Albert Pike, 1861-1927
- Bourne, William R.
- Carter, George L., 1858-1936
- Claxton, Philander P.
- Frazier, Fred B. (Frederick Brennings), 1880-
- Hanson, C. C. (Charles Clinton), 1867-
- Harned, P. L. (Perry Lee), 1866-
- Hooper, Ben W. (Ben Wade), 1870-1957
- Hunter, James F. (James Franklin), 1856-
- Jones, R. L. (Robert Lee), 1867-
- Morgan, H. A. (Harcourt Alexander), 1867-1950
- Mynders, Seymour Allen, 1861-1913
- Rye, Tom C., 1863-1953
- Sherrill, Samuel Wells, 1869-
- Thompson, Samuel Hunter, b. 1876
- Todd, Andrew L. (Andrew Lee), 1872-1945
- Williams, Albert W., b. 1889
- Accreditation (Education) -- Societies, etc.
- College teachers -- Selection and appointment
- Corporation records
- East Tennessee State Normal School--Buildings
- East Tennessee State Normal School--Curricula
- East Tennessee State Normal School--Faculty
- Laboratory schools
- Personal papers
- School improvement programs
- School superintendents--Tennessee, East--Congresses
- Schools--furniture, equipment, etc.
- Southern Conference for Education and Industry
- Teachers' institutes
- Teachers--Rating of
- Teachers--Salaries, etc.
- United States. Army. Students' Army Training Corps
- University Archives staff
- Language of description