David Morris Collection
Collection — other: Boxes 1-6
The David Morris Collection contains correspondence, memos, notes, publications, posters, and pamphlets describing protest movements throughout the United States, South America, and Europe during the mid to late 1960s. Most of the papers were created by such organizations as the Southern Student Organizing Committee (SSOC), a predominantly white organization that encouraged and coordinated student activism on southern campuses from 1964 to 1969; Students for a Democratic Society (SDS), a radical political organization founded during the 1960s; and the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), a civil rights organization established in 1960 and disbanded in 1969. The papers date from 1952 to 1970. The bulk of the material covers the period 1964 to 1969.
- Majority of material found within 1964-1969
- Morris, David (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
2.90 linear feet
The collection is divided into two series: Series 1, Vietnam War Protest, 1952-1969; and Series 2, Domestic Protest, 1959-1969. The first series covers protests against the military draft and the Vietnam War. Series 2 consists of documents related to other protest movements.
Method of Acquisition
The David Morris Collection was donated to the Archives of Appalachia on April 2, 1988 by George Stevenson, then professor of history at Emory & Henry College in Emory, Virginia. Materials earlier were given to Stevenson by Morris.
Processing of the collection was completed in December 1995 by William Drumright.
- Carmichael, Stokely
- Fulbright, J. William (James William), 1905-
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968
- McCarthy, Eugene J., 1916-
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994
- Wallace, George C. (George Corley), 1919-
- Appalachian Region, Southern
- Dow Chemical Company
- Milligan College
- Personal papers
- Publications (document genre)
- Southern Student Organizing Committee (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Student movements--Appalachian Region, Southern
- Students for a Democratic Society (U.S.)
- University of Tennessee (Knoxville campus)
- Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975--Protest movements
- William Drumright
- Language of description