The Goforth Collection includes copy negatives with corresponding prints, engineering drawings, and maps relating to the develoment of railroads in Tennessee, Virginia and North Carolina. The prints and negatives depict places along the Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Railway. These were taken in the months from August through October 1909. The engineering drawings include specifications for bridges, tunnels, stations, pump houses, dwellings, trestles and loading platforms.
The collection is divided into three series: Series 1, Prints and Negatives; Series 2, Engineering Drawings; and Series 3, Maps and Charts
Method of Acquisition
The James A. Goforth photographs and engineering drawings were donated to the Archives of Appalachia by James A. Goforth in June 1984. The collection was opened for research in 1984.
Accruals and Additions
The materials in the addition to the James A. Goforth Collection are copies of materials loaned to the Archives of Appalachia in January 1991 by James A. Goforth. Originals were returned to Goforth during the summer of 1991. Processing of the addition was completed in November 1994.
In February 2012, Scott Jessee donated 36 sets of drawings which he had acquired from James Goforth. These drawings were incorporated into the collection in April 2013. Acquisition number 2012-043.
Existence and Location of Originals
Location of original photographs unknown.
At the Archives of Appalachia:
AppMs 047, Carolina, Clinchfield, and Ohio Railway Engineering Department Collection
AppMs 096, Carolina, Clinchfield, and Ohio Railway Records
AppMs 209, Carl B. Knight Papers
AppMs 339, William Cary Hattan Collection
Processing of the collection was completed in July 1989 by Marie Tedesco and Georgia Greer. The collection was reprocessed by Jen Bingham in April 2013 in order to incorporate the Jessee addition.