The Broylesville Flour Mill Records contain ledgers, receipt books, a day book, price lists, order forms, and an advertisement documenting the daily operation of the mill between 1912 and 1952. The records reflect early 20th-century agricultural and milling practices of East Tennessee and the types of grain purchased by residents of rural Appalachia.
The records are arranged alphabetically by the type of document and then chronologically. The book, Tennessee Laws, 1911, has been placed at the end of the collection. Several ledgers containing different types of book keeping information with overlapping date spans for each of the mill's account are arranged chronologically by the last date of each ledger's span date. These ledgers are identified with an * in the box and folder inventory.
Ledford acquired the documents after purchasing the mill in 1982 in order to establish her antique shop.
Method of Acquisition
The Broylesville Flour Mill Records were donated to the Archives of Appalachia by Erlene Ledford in November 20, 1987.
Melissa Garant and Scott Schwartz, and the records were opened to researchers November 30, 1990.