Skip to main content

John Biggs "Pat" Alderman Papers

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: AppMs-149
The Pat Alderman papers contain many different types of materials. Included are books, plays, articles and music written by Alderman, as well as typed drafts and handwritten notes for his historical works. The music dates from the late 1920s through the 1960s, while the plays and books date from the late 1940s through the 1970s. Incoming correspondence (1920s-1980s), church programs, play programs, autobiographical notes, clippings on music, history, natural history and conservation also are included in the collection. Photographic prints and negative transparencies from his books, and audio tapes have been placed in separate series within the collection. These audio-visual materials have been kept with the collection.

The addition to the collection includes newsclippings, musical scores, programs, correspondence, photographs, slides, miscellaneous printed matter, and memorabilia related to Alderman's varied interests in local history, music and music education, conservation, and civic affairs.

Dates

  • 1918 - 1983

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research.

Extent

7.50 linear feet (22 boxes, 7 audiotapes, 4 slide carousels)

22.00 Boxes

4.00 folder(s)

4.00 Boxes

3.00 Boxes

Arrangement

The Pat Alderman papers are divided into six series: Series 1, Plays and Music; Series 2, Historical Materials; Series 3, Conservation and Natural History; Series 4, Correspondence; Series 5, Community, Educational, Social and Religious Activities; and Series 6, Audio-Visual Materials.

Method of Acquisition

The Pat Alderman Papers were donated to the archives by John Biggs "Pat" Alderman on February 3, 1983.

Accruals and Additions

Additional materials were donated by his daughter, Patsy Tittle, on January 14, 1985. A second addition to the John Biggs Alderman Papers was donated by Gloria J. Harrell of Johnson City, Tennessee, on October 22, 1990 and was opened to researchers in December 1996. A third addition was donated by Patsy Tittle on April 4, 2011.

Separated Materials

Non-Manuscript Materials: Oversize maps, drawings and transparencies have been placed in the map cabinets and filed according to accession number. Pamphlets and brochures on local and regional history have been removed and placed in the Appalachian vertical files. Magazines, among them Tennessee Conservationist, The Plow, Tennessee Wildlife, Watauga Genealogist, and Wolf Laurel Gazette, have been removed and placed in the Appalachian publications vertical files.

All photographic prints, photographic negatives, transparencies, slides and audio tapes have been retained with the collection. Four carousels of slides (#1, "Indians I," #2, "Indians II", #3, "Trees," and #4, "Wildlife") are shelved with the collection. There is also oversize material stored in map cabinets by accession number.

The following maps have been added to the Archives of Appalachia Map Collection:

General Highway Map, Greene County, Tennessee, 1954 Rural Road Map, Unicoi County, Tennessee, 1963

Processing Information

Marie Tedesco completed processing and the collection was opened for research in 1987.

Creator

Author
Marie Tedesco
Language of description
eng

Repository Details

Part of the Archives of Appalachia Repository

Contact:
PO Box 70295
344 J.L. Seehorn Jr. Rd.
Johnson City TN 37614 USA
423-439-4338