East Tennessee State University. Department of Curriculum and Instruction
East Tennessee State Normal School opened in 1911. Operating as a teacher's college, the Department of Education's curriculum was designed to prepare students for professions in elementary and secondary education. In 1978, under academic reorganization, the department was divided. Two new departments were formed: The Department of Supervision and Education and the Department of Curriculum and Instruction.