Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

East Tennessee State College. Men's Colloquium

 Organization

The Faculty Colloquium of East Tennessee State University was organized in 1952 as the Men's Colloquium to promote free discussion and exchange of ideas among male faculty members outside of the university setting. The colloquium encouraged academic presentations and programs aimed at stimulating intellectual discussion among its' members. The meetings of the colloquium were held once a month in the home of a member. The original membership consisted of the following persons: John Allen, Tom Carson, Bob Crawford, Harold Dugger, Clinton Ferguson, George Fox, Perry Holt, Gerald Jaggen, Sam Jasper, Frank Laurens, Albert Laker, Lloyd Pierce, Hal Smith, Dick Stevenson, and Frank Williams. The president of the university was an honorary member. The one officer of the organization was the moderator, who was elected annually. The moderator's duties included getting out meeting notices and scheduling programs.

Membership in the colloquium was limited to male faculty members until 1978 when membership became open to female faculty members as well. The Men's Colloquium then became the Faculty Colloquium. The colloquium ceased to exist in 1979.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Faculty Colloquium Records

 Collection — other: Box 1
Identifier: 100-UnivRec 184
Arrangement The records are organized into a single series.