East Tennessee State University. Bursar’s Office
The Bursar’s Office served as the business office for East Tennessee State University from the school’s establishment in 1911 as East Tennessee State Normal School. The office handled school monies, handled requisitions and supplies, payroll, receipting, maintained business and property records, and other normal business activities for the institution. Elbert J. Baxter was the first bursar (1911-1913). For most of the period covered by these records, William L. Prince was the bursar (1913-c. 1944). The position continues at present as a sub-unit of the Office of Financial Services under the Vice President for Finance and Administration. For a complete list of bursars, see “An Academic and Administrative Register of East Tennessee State University” in the Archives Reading Room.