Broylesville Flour Mill
The Broylesville Flour Mill is located in Broylesville, Tennessee, a rural Washington County community situated 10 miles southwest of Jonesborough, Tennessee. It was constructed on the site of the Broyles Grist Mill, built c. 1803 on the banks of Little Limestone Creek, and operated by the Bashor family as the Bashor Mill between c. 1869 and 1872. The mill was purchased by William M. Mitchell and John F. Smith in 1872 and renamed the Mitchell and Smith Merchant Flouring Mill. In 1912 the company was purchased from the Mitchell family by B. F. Parker who continued running the mill until 1919 when it was sold to J. H. Taylor. The mill was renamed the Broylesville Flour Mill and was sporadically operated by the Taylor family until 1952. The structure was sold to Erlene Hoover Ledford in 1982 and eventually renovated into an antiques shop by Erlene and Faith Ledford. Currently the building is unoccupied and on the market for purchase.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Collection — Box: 1-3
Identifier: 500-AppMs 309
Arrangement The records are arranged alphabetically by the type of document and then chronologically. The book, Tennessee Laws, 1911, has been placed at the end of the collection. Several ledgers containing different types of book keeping information with overlapping date spans for each of the mill's account are arranged chronologically by the last date of each ledger's span date. These ledgers are identified with an * in the box and folder inventory.