Emanuel Lutheran Church (Washington County, Tenn.)
Located on Cherokee Creek in Washington County, Tennessee, near present-day Limestone, Emanuel Lutheran Church (also known as the Old Dutch Meeting House) organized about 1807 as a union church and was admitted to the North Carolina Synod in 1811. The first church elders were Abraham Shnep and Elias Bowman. In 1820 it became a charter member of the Tennessee Synod. During the early years, services were often held in both German and English. The church disbanded about 1870. The former church site was bought by Dave Walters in 1900 and sold in 1943 to B. Chase. The church building was torn down sometime in the early 1900s.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Collection — other: Folder 1 in Box C
Scope and Contents The Emanuel Lutheran Church Records consists of photocopies of lists of communicants, baptisms, confirmants and of those attending catechism. There are also some church minutes, including decisions about financial matters, election of church officials and teaching catechism in English rather than Dutch. Lists of baptisms includes information about the persons' parents and date of birth.Also included with the church records are photocopies of property deeds which seem to have...